I have three major goals as a teacher:
- To train students in skills needed in their future lives.
- To foster appreciation of the natural world and the search for truth.
- To increase student confidence
To accomplish these goals I strive to create an energetic and supportive classroom environment in which engagement is encouraged and student perspectives are valued. My inclusive pedagogy is based on current, evidence-based methods.
Teaching is one of the most continually rewarding aspects of my job.
- Instructor: Critical and Creative Thinking in the Life Sciences (2017). NCSU.
- Instructor: Applied Statistics in Ecology and Agriculture (2016). VT.
- Guest Lecturer: Biology of invasions (2014). VT.
- Instructor: Plant physiology (2012). UMT.
- Instructor: Plant physiology lab (2012). UMT.
- Teaching Assistant: Plant physiology laboratory (2011). UMT.
- Teaching Assistant: Introductory biology laboratory (2010). UMT.
- Instructor: Plant physiology (2009). UMT.
- Co-Instructor: Plant physiology (2008). UMT.
- Teaching Assistant: Genetics and evolution (2008). UMT.
- Teaching Assistant: Cellular and molecular biology (2007). UMT.
- Teacher Aide: Beginner’s aikido (2003 & 2004). KU.